Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Impressively overrated


It’s 4:30 pm in Hawaii (I know, fuck me, right?) and without a doubt the most intense NBA game of the year just ended between The Heat and The Thunder. I just opened a bottle of red in preparation for the Lakers-Clippers match up with hopes that this game will be played with the same aggressive, playoff feel. Chris Paul looks as honed-in as ever and Kobe has that swagger that only Kobe could have – you know what I mean.  Gasol stumbles around like a goofy llama and Bynum always reminds me of an over-sized Tracey Morgan. Then there’s Blake Griffin - I don’t even know where to start. He looks like something some demented scientist engineered in a basement in LA – kind of a combination Frankenstein-sized superior athlete and The Thing from Fantastic Four.

Tip off commences and all the fans who long to watch a dull, flat sports experience get exactly that.  The NBA never ceases to disappoint.  During my years of team sports, my favorite was hands down basketball.  I never was the most athletic or skilled player on the court, but I always had a very strong grasp of the game and fell in love with the rhythm and fluidity of it.

Watching the first quarter of this game unfold, I can’t help but think that Blake Griffin’s lack of rhythm and grace looks about how I would look if I decided to appear on “Dancing With the Stars”.  What he lacks in the grace department he makes up for in strength and athleticism – skills he owns in abundance.  He bullies his way to the hole with a caveman-like agility while attempting to dunk the ball over any and every player that makes the mistake of contesting him. While this makes for great Sports Center highlights, it simply does not sync with the caliber of player that ESPN makes him out to be. I believe him to be the most overrated player in the NBA. He has no post moves and a jumper not even worth mentioning except to say that it has improved.  So what.   His free throw stroke is by far his most blatant display of poor form – best compared to Charles Barkley's golf swing.  Well, that is before Hank Haney got a hold of it. Anytime Griffin gets the ball in the post and a shot calling for finesse is required, he generally comes up short or clanks it long.

In his defense I do admit that he often gets his own rebound and follows up with a Gasol tea bagging.  Too bad we can’t get a camera on the fans’ facial expressions as they contemplate being forced to watch that 250 more times in the coming week on Sports Center.  I say forced, but I’d be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy watching him relentlessly humiliate player after player every week.    

Basketball, like any game, has unique aspects, not the least of which is a rhythm and  pace that requires subtle signals and quick moves among players.  Those that are able to combine natural talent with the feel of the game can become great. Players like Kobe and (of course) Jordan both demonstrate that perfect fusion of athletic dominance and effortless grace. If Blake Griffin ever wants to enter the company of the NBA elite, he has to learn to let the game come to him and, as Bagger Vance says, “Stop thinking - without falling asleep”.  Griffin probably won’t make the changes necessary to ascend to greatness, and that’s disappointing for a purist like me.  I’m still waiting patiently for the next great composer to come along and match the poise and dexterity and grace which he was born to the rhythm and beat and the strategy of this game.  When it happens it’s a beautiful thing.

-Patton-

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on Griffin except for one point, I think he can and will make the changes necessary to become a great player. His entire offensive repertoire consists of get within 8 feet of the basket and then jump over or through anything in his way because we encourage it too much. I think eventually he will learn that isn't an effective basketball strategy or we will just have to wait until his athleticism begins to fail him in his 30s. Either way he will develop a complete game. He has to or he will be out of the league.

    The biggest key to Griffin developing his game, though, is learning discretion. He fails as a face up post player because his first and only instinct is dunk the ball hard. This makes any other move he makes look like he thinking about the game instead of reacting to the game. Get the thought of dunking out of his head, and he will become more instinctive/graceful/fluid in the other facets of the game AND still retain the ability to mushroom stamp 7' Spaniards. Then he will become a great player and actually contribute to his teams success instead of just SportsCenter's top 10.
    -Fantasy Fred

    ReplyDelete